So this slow-cooker recipe may not apPEAl to everyone, but I can’t be apPEAsing all PEAople all the time, can I? Okay, okay, I’ll stop.
For this week’s crock pot link up, I made vegan pea soup. I know, pea soup. But wait–before you run away, does it help that it’s curry ginger pea soup? It should, because this soup has got it going on.
- Cheap: 1.29 (split green peas) + .99 (1lb bag of carrots) + .50 (onion) + seasoning I had on hand. 4+ meals worth of food for under $4? I’m in.
- Healthy:12g protein, 15% daily iron, high quality fiber and more.
- Taste: Delicious. Split peas alone surprised me with the amazing flavor they have once cooked. Throw in the additions? Yum yum.
- Easy: You don’t even have to stir this recipe.
Curry Ginger Pea Soup
- 1lb dried split green peas
- 4-6 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1T curry powder
- Fresh grated ginger, to taste (use lots)
- 6 cups hot water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Layer the ingredients as listed. Don’t stir. Leave on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-9. Voila!
If you’re a single lady like me, freeze anything you aren’t going to use within a week and you will have a dinner ready to go later down the line.
When I say “fresh” ginger, for me that means frozen. Hesitate buying ginger because you have no idea when you’ll use it next? Stick your leftover ginger in the freezer, then break out your microplane/zester or grater and add your frozen-fresh ginger to everything! Saves time/money/leftover ginger going bad on your counter.
My fingernails randomly match my Ziploc bags. Sheer class.
If you hate pea soup but haven’t had it since an early age, seriously, give it another go. If I haven’t convinced you, then break out the slow cooker and try JamieAnne‘s Mayocoba Beans. Or add your own past or present slow cooking post to our link up!