On the seventh day of Christmas…
I cooked curry for seven hours. In my slow cooker, of course.
Thai Orange Curry Stew
You’ve heard of yellow, green and red Thai curry, right? So what’s Thai orange curry? About as authentic as its name, that’s what. But it is a bowl full of warm and flavorful deliciousness. And as always, I try to keep my meals cheap, easy and healthy!
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1/2 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 1 can lite coconut milk (15oz), plus one can’s worth of water
- 1 dried red chili (more for more heat)
- 1/2t turmeric
- 2t ground coriander
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 1-2 (or more) T grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
Put it all in your slow cooker. I did 4 hours on high before roughly smashing up the chunks of potato and carrot with the back of a spoon, then 3 hours on low until the beans were softened but not mushy.
I was inspired by Rachel’s Thai Pumpkin Curry Soup, so, if you’re looking for something faster or pumpkin-based, check out her recipe. And I am always inspired by my slow cookin’ friend JamieAnne–check out her crock pot meatball recipe or join the slow cooker link up below!